Robust & tear-resistant climbing ropes in high quality
What types of ropes are there?
Modern climbing ropes consist of a special, tear-resistant core sheath construction. If you want to buy a rope, the location of the climbing rope is very important. Because there are the following types of climbing ropes and rope types for the different locations:
- Single rope: A single rope is used in a single strand and is used for normal climbing (sport climbing) on the rock, as well as for climbing in the hall. The diameter of a single rope is 8.5 to approx. 11 millimeters. When testing the standard with a falling weight or a weight of 80 kg, the single rope must hold at least 5 so-called standard falls. For climbing in the hall we recommend a rope length of 60 m for a single rope and for climbing outdoors (e.g. climbing garden) a length of the rope of 70 meters is recommended for a single rope.
- Half rope: A half rope is used for alpine climbing, but also for ice climbing and glacier tours. This type of climbing rope is always used in pairs. With half-rope technology, only one strand of a pair is clipped into the intermediate safety device, which drastically reduces rope friction. When testing the standard with a falling weight or a weight of 55 kg, the half rope must hold at least 5 falls. Half ropes allow a longer descent.
- Twin rope: The twin rope is a combination of single and half rope. In the case of a twin rope, the half ropes are used in a double strand and both strands (in the double strand) of the twin rope are hooked into each intermediate safety device, as with the single rope. The single rope must be considered when abseiling and in the safety reserve (or when climbing). A twin rope is also used in alpine climbing and ice climbing.
- Triple certified rope (triple rope shank): A triple certified rope is used in high-end climbing.
Before you start climbing or before each climbing route, you should check whether the rope (single rope, half rope, twin rope) is compatible with your belay device. Because it must be checked whether the strength of the climbing rope used is compatible with the locking mechanism of your belay device. Otherwise there is no security!
How do dynamic and static climbing ropes differ?
Climbing ropes can be differentiated fundamentally based on their stretchability or based on the rope stretch. Here you can differentiate between dynamic and static climbing ropes with different elongations. A dynamic rope is a climbing rope, which is characterized by good rope elongation. Dynamic climbing ropes consist of a sheath and a core. As a rule of thumb, the higher the proportion of sheath, the longer the rope lasts (but the heavier it is). This elasticity has a clear advantage in the event of a fall (impact impact). Because then a dynamic climbing rope has an elongation of max. 40%, which can dampen the fall (impact impact) and prevent injuries. A statistical climbing rope (static ropes), on the other hand, has almost no rope elongation or extensibility (only 2-5%). The static climbing ropes with little stretch (static ropes) are mostly used for mountain and cave rescues and for canoying. Dynamic climbing ropes are ideal for climbing. With regard to the elasticity, you should also deal with the rear step. The ascent is a climbing route with rope protection from above, after another climber has already climbed the route in the lead and uses the rope laid in this way to secure it. As a rule, the climber has a lower risk compared to the climber, since the safety rope comes from above and can be guided tightly by the belayer to hang directly in the rope in the event of a fall. The elongation of the rope plays a major role for longer rope lengths. Because then the inevitable rope stretching means a certain risk of falling for the newcomer.
What length should the rope be?
The length of the rope also depends on the place of use. A climbing rope in the outdoor area should have a rope length of approx. 70 m (alpine climbing) and in the indoor area a rope length of 50 to 60 meters is recommended. For maximum safety, you can inquire about the height of the climbing hall or the length of the mountain tour in advance.
How do I take care of a climbing rope?
For an even longer longevity, we recommend good care of the climbing rope. The following aspects are helpful for optimal care:
- Use a rope sack: in a sack, the climbing rope is relatively well protected against UV radiation and dirt.
- First clipping, then chalking: Remember that excessive magnesia can damage the rope as much as sand or dust.
- Alternate the ends of the climbing rope: pull the climbing rope e.g. after a fall and let the stressed end pause.
- A climbing rope should be stored in a cool and dry place.
- Cleaning: climbing ropes can be washed in the washing machine or by hand. When washing climbing ropes, many manufacturers recommend the use of mild detergent or a special rope detergent. In addition, climbing ropes should never be thrown or put in a dryer. We also recommend impregnating the climbing ropes.
What characteristics should a good climbing rope have?
Our ropes are characterized by the following properties that a climbing rope should generally have:
- High resilience (protection against damage) & tearproof
- Good grip & comfortable handling
- Dirt resistant
- Water repellent
- Long service life for more safety when climbing
- From well-known brands or manufacturers, such as Edelrid
- Available in different diameters or suitable rope diameters for every application
- Available in different rope lengths or in the appropriate rope lengths for every application
Nevertheless, today the ropes are characterized by great properties, such as high resilience or durability, you should always replace and replace the climbing ropes. This should not take place after a few years with damage! Only then are they optimally secured in the event of a fall or a fall factor is avoided at the same time. Discover our large selection of climbing ropes for recreational climbers, sport climbers, professional climbers or beginner climbers. We are characterized by high competence and have the advantage of years of experience in climbing. With us you will find the right climbing rope for every location (hall, climbing garden or outdoor area) and with our climbing ropes rappelling and climbing are easy and safe!